Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Pressure Cooking!


I finally got my pressure cooker in the mail from Amazon, and have been excited to finally get around to speed-cooking. I love indian curries so I figured this would help me make them with tender meats and veggies in a quick amount of time. I read all the safety instructions first and found out this particular pressure cooker reaches 15 PSI, which is on par or exceeding most automotive turbochargers! This raises the effective boiling point of water contained in the cooking chamber, and allows it to cook food more effectively and potentially reduces cooking time by 70%.

I decided to go for the gold on my first try and attempted a Lamb Rogan Josh, a favorite lamb dish of mine that I don't find anywhere. I found a recipe here: http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recipetemplate.php?scale=2&mid=15732 and decided to for it. I skimped on the marinade time, and spend an hour chopping onions, garlic, and cubing lamb, but in the end it only took about 15 minutes in the pressure cooker to end up with something extremely delicious! I did not have ginger, so I used some random Gingerbread yogurt I had in the fridge, and added cinnamon sugar instead of cinnamon, so I may have ended up a bit sweet.

Even after one experience with pressure cookers (and a quick explosion leak I had by reducing the pressure too quickly with too much cold water at once) I may have never eaten lamb that came out this tender, and after just 15 minutes. I recommend a try at least once. Curries are usually better on the second day also, so I may have some updated raving tomorrow. Even as is, it was delicious, though I may add some serano peppers next time to spice it up a bit more.

Note: I made the pac-man spatula holder at a place in Menlo Park with Bethany called "Color me mine".. you buy ceramics and paint them at their store and have them baked for you... it's pretty cool, but more cost effective if you make larger items.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home